mayo: Return to Guanajuato
Once upon a time, a girl named Katie studied in a beautiful, Mexican town called Guanajuato (goo-wah-nah-who-ah-toe). Colorful, colonial, and full of charm, Guanajuato seduced me quickly and I willingly gave a piece of my heart to the city (a piece which it has held ever since). It was a lovely summer of spending time with friends in fantastic restaurants and bars, living up the dancing, music, and food, and getting to know an incredible host family. It was a couple months of easy-going days without a care in the world. I met some great locals and was not quite ready to leave Guanajuato when the summer had to end. To make matters of the heart even more severe, she had to live this Mexican Wonderland to return to the US and face one of the toughest years ever (which in turn made Guanajuato's pedestal that much grander).
I always wanted to go back. Guanajuato was perfect and I always thought that I would find peace again in the city where I found shelter before a storm. A couple years went by of plans being made and falling apart. I almost lost hope. Then I moved to Cuernavaca and 8 months into my experience here we had a completely open and plan-free 4-day weekend. Without much hesitation, I grabbed the opportunity and the earliest bus possible back to this place that still holds a piece of my heart.
I went with Sarah and our total lack of plans were completely in sync. I had a short list of things I wanted to do: Enjoy good food and drinks, wander around, try to see the host family, and to go back to my favorite local haunts (hoping it all still existed). Of the local haunts: I wanted to revisit Barfly (a bar), revisit Santo Cafe (a restaurant), revisit Cafe Tal (a coffee shop), and try to see a show of Son del Monton (a band). We wanted little to do with museums or tourist sites, excursions or early mornings. It was a vacation of enjoying life for every beautiful, unplanned and unrushed moment of it.
I arrived at the city knowing I am a different person now than the young woman that studied there years ago, but somehow or another the older and wiser me still fell in love all over again. When our lack of plans took a wrong turn, we found a beautiful scenic route and better luck because of it. When we wanted to stop for a coffee, yummy lunch, or glass of wine, we just said "How about here" and enjoyed peaceful (and delicious) breaks in tranquil cafes and vibrant plazas. When my hope was lost that I wouldn't get in touch with the host fam, things magically worked out and they called to invite us out to eat. When it seemed like everything had changed and Guanajuato wasn't as mystical and charming as it once was, it seduced me again.
I haven't given my heart to Cuernavaca the same way that I gave it to Guanajuato. I recognize that the onda of the place is different, that the experience I am living is different, and that I am a very different person now. But from the moment I stepped foot in Guanajuato for the first time in almost three years, I knew that there was something special about the place and about the person that I am when I am there. The entire trip was flawless and incredibly indulgent. When we had to go back to our lives in Cuernavaca I just knew in my gut that I'd be back to Guanajuato again. I will visit Cuernavaca to visit Marce, but I will visit Guanajuato like a "regular" visits their local coffee shop. I have few doubts that (as long as I am able) I will go back to Guanajuato time and time again, and soak up and savor every moment.
Yes, I will go back.
Labels: Guanajuato, May, mayo, trip
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home