mayo: e-proof
It was hot this month... but, really hot. April and May are the hottest months in Cuernavaca and then the hopeful rains come in June and start to cool the place off. The Mexicans were saying that this was the hottest April and May ever (yay for global warming!). I was vain and didn't want to look as US-American as my blonde hair and light eyes immediately suggest, I refused to wear shorts for most of the time. But even still, it got to a point of heat when even capris were uncomfortable. Yeah, I wore shorts - I got more catcalls and I stood out even more, but I just had to. It was the type of heat that suffocates, that makes you sweat just by standing up, that makes your legs stick to chairs and benches and any other surface. Don't even get me started on the Mexican sun - let's just say that it is a bit more powerful down here in the land of Zapata. It was hot. I complained and realized I am a conditional summer girl at heart. I am a summer girl if I can enjoy the gifts of summer heat and sun... next to the water. On a boat, on a beach, at a friend's pool. I am not a summer girl for the concrete shell of Cuernavaca. Where's the water?!
I also realized that despite a small fluctuation of temperatures, Cuernavaca has been more or less "summer-like" all year long. I left the US last August and will return in July - I will have over a full year of summer behind me by the time I greet the changing leaves and cool winds of fall in a few months.
So, for those of you who know me as a summer girl at heart (although a conditional one), a true hater of winter, a wuss and complainer throughout January, February, and March in the Midwest... take this blog entry as e-proof for future reference:
I genuinely missed the cold. I did not the extreme colds of February, but I missed the change of seasons and I missed a more mild cold nonetheless. I missed wearing sweaters, gloves, a scarf. I missed fireplaces and hot cocoa and tea. I missed curling up with extra blankets.
So there it is. E-proof. Use this next winter when I am bitching and moaning about the cold. :)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home