marzo: CL girls visit Mexico
The first weekend in March, some of my best friends came to visit me in Cuernavaca. Katie, Jill and Molly hopped on a plane early on a Friday morning and flew down to Mexico City, then bussed to Cuernavaca. We had a great weekend of catching up, deep discussions, silly discussions, reminiscing, and enjoying some cool things in Mexico in the meantime.
We went to Marce's right away and she had enchiladas made for the hungry, travelled-out girls. Yum. Then we went to a bar called Maga for a quick drink before going back to the hostel and chatting some more.
(At the Maga bar: Jill, Molly, me, Katie)
On Saturday we went to Tepoztlan. We had some amazing croissants (I am an addict and go every time I'm in Tepoz) and some coffee. Then we climbed the mountain to get the great view of Tepoz in the valley from the view of the pyramid called Tepozteco. We fed our hungry bellies at a restaurant called Colorines, which has exaggerated Mexican decoration in the same way that Applebees has exaggerated Americana decorations. After that we walked through the open-air, artisan market and went down to the soccer fields. My team happened to be playing, so we said hello and the girls met my teammates. Then we wandered back up through the market, got some Tepoznieves ice cream, and hopped on a bus back to Cuernavaca. We went out salsa dancing that night at Guantanamera... or well, I went dancing. Even though we practiced the basic salsa steps at the hostel, the girls chose to stay at the table and enjoy the view and the drinks instead.
(on top of Tepozteco pyramid on the mountain in Tepoz)
On Sunday we wandered around a bit. We went to the main cathedral in the center of town, but didn't stay long because mass was in session. Then we went to a beautiful garden right in the middle of town. I love the Jardin Borda because it is just a doorway into a blissful escape from the noise and traffic of Cuernavaca. Then we wandered over to the Palacio de Cortes and walked through the artisan market nearby. We went back to Marce's for dinner - quesadillas de tinga. We stayed and chatted and played UNO with her until about 11pm.
(at Jardin Borda)
On Monday, I took the girls to my work sites. We started the day at La Estacion kindergarten. They got to meet the different classes and teachers, hear our warm-up songs in English, and then help me teach a lesson to one of the groups. We played with the kids during recess and then left to go back to Marce's for lunch. We went to my afternoon site too, Casa Tatic, and the girls got the full-day experience. They helped me set up the room and prepare materials, then they walked with me and the other teachers to pick up kids, then we did the whole routine (wash hands, eat, brush teeth, do the activity, clean up, go home), they walked the kids back to their homes with us too. Whew - it was a full day for them but they were great and the kids adored them. They have been asking me about my friends ever since. We ate dinner that night at Marco Polo Italian restaurant with a sweet view of the cathedral lit up at night. It was sad to be already having our last meal, but the trip was coming to a close. I can't believe it went so fast!
(the girls at La Estacion)
Tuesday morning, I accompanied the girls to the bus station and waited with them until the boarded to head back to the airport. It was a great trip and it reminded me of the beautiful friendship we have. We are all so different, and walking on very different life paths, but we still keep in touch and we still make the time to see each other. Now, we'll split up. Molly will move to Alaska to work with her fiance, Katie will move to California to pursue grad school, Jill will be in central Illinois teaching, and I will move back to Madison, Wisconsin. Nevertheless, I have no fear that our friendship will continue. Who knows where we will meet up next time - the Gavle cabin? Alaska? California? Someplace random? I felt good saying goodbye to them at the bus station. As they walked away I realized that these are three amazing women that I am fortunate to have in my life, and I am incredibly blessed that they will in my life for years to come.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home