enero: Changes at Work
After the trip with Ryan, I went back to work and found Casa Tatic to have changed a bit during break. Due to retirement and firing/quitting we lost two of our three preschool teachers (not including me, I was a helper). I came back to find one preschool teacher working with 30-50 kids/day between the ages of two and six years old. Well, before I even had time to fully process this, I was handed the keys to the basement and given my own group. "Buena suerte"
A week later, we hired another preschool teacher. Yay! So now, including me, we are back at three. At first the staff was aware of the fact that I was an assistant before (and let's not forget the whole second-language obstacle) and were going to keep my group numbers down at ten kids. Well, ten turned into twelve... twelve turned into fifteen... and now I am in charge of however many 2-3 year olds come through our doors. And I love it.
At first I was nervous about taking on the extra time and preparation required to clean the classroom, bathroom, and dining room everyday as well as prepare materials and collaborate with the other teachers. And sure, being fully in charge of dirty diapers, calming every crying child, and trying to break up fights is a bit daunting too. But then I got the teacher-itch and started making all sorts of posters and decorations for my room, planning out some of the classroom rules that I have been wanting to change, and even considering using bilingual instruction. More than anything, there is such joy in having the kids and staff recognize me as one of the teachers instead of just another gringa volunteer (we have numerous that come and work for a couple weeks and then leave). I feel much more integrated into the project there and couldn't be happier.
Some of the perks of the job - the official smock and getting to do silly things like put on masks and dance the chileno
Labels: Casa Tatic, enero, January, teaching
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home