La vida en Mexico

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

noviembre: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Turkey, stuffing, fresh cranberry sauce, lefse, scalloped corn, desserts galore... and the company. To me, Thanksgiving is like Christmas without the commercialism, Thanksgiving is the holiday stripped down and revealing the pure point of celebrating. Why are we giving thanks? Well, because we are here, healthy, eating a wonderful meal, and spending time with those who mean the most in our lives.

"An 'Amen' fits in right about here, folks" (Al Starr)... Amen, Al, Amen.

Mexicans do not celebrate T-day and I found it a blessing and a curse. The holiday and the distance from the place I call home were always floating in the back of my mind during the entire week. On one hand, it was nice to have that day feel like any other day here in Mexico so I didn't get too emotional over the event. On the other hand, letting the holiday come and go didn't seem quite right either. How do you say "mixed emotions" in Spanish? :)

Fortunately, we received an invitation from our ex-pat buddy Eric (with some unidentifiable connection with our program). He invited us to his family's home here in Cuernavaca along with some students from one of the schools (another unidentifiable connection). Sarah, Jenn, Heidi and I went to the Thanksgiving dinner to celebrate how we know how. The students were "buena onda" (cool people) and we had fun getting to know them while also chatting with Eric and his family. The students prepared the meal and wow, they did a dynamite job. Turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, (Sarah and my) homemade wheat bread, and lots o' desserts. It was delicious and the taste of home that I needed to feel still connected to the holiday despite my absence.





I rolled out of Eric's home stuffed, very happy, and very tired from too much food and tryptophan. What am I thankful for? Being here, being healthy (more often than not), enjoying a good meal, and spending time with some amazing people while I am thousands of miles from those that mean the most.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home