octubre: Finding love in new places
I've found love here.
Marce and I talked last night and she is quite good at being comforting when I need it and being angry when I need that. When feeling distance in other areas of my life she lends a patient and kind ear. When I'm frustrated and need another fighter in my corner, Marce is already lacing up her gloves. She reads me well or she has lots of practice from chatting with everyone that walks past our door. And when I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed she knows when to change the subject or let me take some time for myself. Marce rocks. In our genuine, sometimes akward, way of interacting she is becoming family.
There were two volunteers from England that were working at Casa Tatic for the past two weeks. During their time here I was their translator and their guide and today I translated their goodbyes. Although I wouldn't say that we got close or anything, they still gave me a thoughtful gift. At one point we discussed the joy of giving gifts and I shared that I was a little frustrated in my stalemate of not having an income yet wanting to send home nice Christmas gifts. They gave me materials to make homemade Christmas cards instead... and a little trinket from the beautiful ceramic painters across the street.
Additionally, and even more moving, two of the kids at Casa Tatic that I have bonded with (brother and sister) gave me a hand-painted cross today (like the ceramics). I've seen where they live and I know that they don't have much, if any, material posessions to give. At first I wasn't sure if they found the cross and were handing it to me to find its proper owner, then I thought maybe it was meant for someone else. But each time that I specifically asked what it was and who it was for, they smiled and pointed at me. It was incredible and I'm tearing up now typing this. What a beautiful thing and how humbling.
So despite distance from the love I left at home, I am finding love here too. I am finding it in my 65 year old host mom, unexpected passersby in my Cuernavaca reality, and in a poor 3 and a 4 year old child.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home