La vida en Mexico

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

agosto: A symbol and some words from Chicago


"Other than God, I fear nothing"


The symbol means exactly that for the Ashanti people in West Africa, especially Ghana. Frankly, I can't help but think that it is easier said than done.

Volunteering for a year in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Living with a Mexican woman in her home. Teaching young children in marginalized communities. Immersing myself in my second language and a different culture. Enduring the hard times (and there will be many) and celebrating the joyful times. Seeking new perspectives of life's truths and becoming more aware of the diverse realities of the world around me. Surrendering to the mysteries and complexities of what this year will teach me and how it will change me. Hoping the relationships with my friends and family living thousands of miles away but still under the same moon will not fade or become lost. "Other than God, I fear nothing." Well...

I am halfway through a week of multi-cultural, multi-lingual sharing of worldly wisdom taken (a.k.a. YAGM Orientation). Despite the occasional bouts with butterflies, orientation is lighting a fire in me to start my year of service and throw myself into the deep end of this cloudy pool of the incredible unknown. By now my brain has hit capacity I am letting everything wash over me while grasping out for the quotes, moments, and messages that really move my soul. To share two quotes that strike a chord:

"Your problem is how you are going to spend this one odd and precious life you have been issued. Whether you're going to live it trying to look good and creating the illusion that you have power over people and circumstances, or whether you are going to taste it, enjoy it, and find out the truth about who you are." - Anne Lamott

"Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels." - Hebrews 13: 1-3
Remembering that our brothers and sisters have different beliefs, different traditions and customs, different languages and cultures... but they are all brothers and sisters of the human race and, if I open myself to them, can act as angels in my life.

Overall, this week of pre-service orientation is going very well and I am spending the downtime with the other volunteers as we openly discuss our reflections, concerns and hopes about the exciting year to come. I leave on Monday to travel from O'Hare to Mexico for another week of orientation in-country. If you are reading this now, I am also looking forward to sharing with you the news during this year of service. Most importantly, I want to thank you for being a source of love, support, and encouragement.

I hope that all is going well in your lives too,
Take care,
Katie

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home